Friday, January 1, 2010

Random Acts of Reading--The Beginning

Hello! Welcome to Our Random Acts of Reading. I've written this post to explain how this new blog evolved. If you've followed my personal blog, A Day of Wonders, for a while you may know that for the past two years I've planned special activities to do with my two boys during the season of Advent each December. On Christmas Day this year my wheels were already turning, thinking about what I wanted to do with the boys for Advent in 2010. Almost immediately I decided that I wanted "blessing others" to be the focus of our activities next Christmas. There are so many things we can do that would fall under the umbrella of being a blessing to others. One thing that I thought about right away was taking part in The Toy Society project. Doing a "toy drop" has been on my to-do list for quite a while but I have yet to make a toy. During Advent 2009 the boys and I read Christmas books and made ornaments to go with them. I am a big fan of planning activities that correlate with the books I read to my children. Once my wheels started turning, it didn't take long before I came up with the idea of anonymously leaving children's books with corresponding activities in public locations for people to discover. And that, my friends, is how Our Random Acts of Reading was "born." Within a few days I had fleshed out the idea and designed the new blog, the one you are reading right now. It is my hope that this project can grow from its humble beginnings into something much bigger with many people participating, similar to how the Toy Society project has blossomed. For now I plan to use this blog to document my own "book drops". I would love to hear feedback from anyone and everyone about this idea. Expect a post VERY soon detailing my first official book drop. Until next time............keep reading!

12 comments:

  1. Lovely idea! I've been in the same boat, I love the toy drop idea but haven't gotten around to making any. But books - I can do books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea... can't wait to follow along. And you even have a profile pic! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled upon your blog, and I REALLY love this idea. I'm single and don't have kids, but I am a reading teacher, so I love anything like this that promotes literacy. You are so creative! Wouldn't it be fun if you started a whole revolution- people secretly leaving books everywhere? I am definitely going to share your blog with my teacher friends.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, blog #3! You are way too organized and put the rest of us to shame! However, I am so excited about this blog. I always love your book suggestions and you have an amazingly creative mind! I'll be interested to see where this whole idea goes. Happy New Year to you & your family (including the chickens).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to following here at well as your others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome idea! I'd love to participate!

    I had the same thought during our book advent activities...It brought us so much joy...and then I wanted the next one to spread that joy to others...great idea you've got going here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool Miss Laura! Love it. Also love the pic! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a kindergarten teacher and am SO impressed with this idea. I have always tried my best to get books into the homes of kids. What a wonderful way to do it! It's definitely something I would like to try in the coming year. It might be something fun we could try at school events -- kids can find books hiding around campus! Thanks for the inspiration and for getting kids reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Count me in. Reading with my children and now my grandchild has been such an important part of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great idea Laura. I'm excited to read more about how things progress. And maybe I can get organized enough to participate too. I shared a link to your blog on Facebook. I have lots of friends who I think might be interested too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Laura - I'm on the other side of the world and I love your blog My Montessori Journey, and I have been equally impressed by your new project. I am in my final year of becoming an Early Childhood Educator, and have used some of your ideas as well as now following other blogs that you have provided links to.

    I would love to be involved over this side of the world, and I will let you know when I "drop" my first package.

    Kind regards
    Jane

    ReplyDelete